About Vasambu, Medicinal Uses and Precautions
The herb grows widely in tropical Asia, Indonesia, Sri Lanka and North temperate hemisphere. It is also found throughout India. The herb is found growing commonly in marsh areas and where there is shallow water. The rhizome of the herb is the most indispensable part and used in making various medicines.
Common and Botanical names
The herb, Vasambu is known as Acorus calamus by its Botanical name and belongs to Araceae family. The Tamil name of it is Vasambu or Pillai marunthu, meaning Pediatric medicine. Common names include Sweet Flag, vash, calamus, flagroot, sweetroot, muskrat root, sweet calomel, sweet cane, german ginger, sweet grass, etc.
Primary Medicinal Uses
Stomach related Problems
Those suffering from Diarrhoea can take water boiled in Vasambu. Vasambu has the ability to cure stomach ailments and gastric problems. When consumed it cures the stomach of all ulcers and gastric problems and makes us feel better. It can also cure diseases like piles, bloating, flatulence, abdominal obstruction, acid gastritis, etc. It also regulates the production of stomach acid that helps in easy digestion.
The herb is a powerful aphrodisiac. Taking the herb regularly increase sexual desire, maintains good health and stimulates the nerves.
Those suffering from common cold can take a piece of Vasambu rhizome, powder it, mix with honey and take it internally. People who have severe cold, soarness in the throat and a bad voice get easily recovered when Vasambu is taken.
The root of the herb is taken, ground to make a fine powder and a pinch of it is placed in the mouth. Ulcer gets cured.
Those having toothache can chew the root of the herb.
Other Medicinal Uses
Those infected with Epilepsy can take Vasambu mixed with honey
The herb has the capability to increase memory power.
- In some families, once a child is born, a pinch paste of the herb is given. It is said to increase the intellectual capacity of the child.
- It has an aromatic ardor and hence used widely in manufacture of perfumes.
- Some people use this along with tobacco for smoking. It is believed to create hallucination.
- It is used as an ingredient in making tooth pastes.
- Pregnant women need to abstain from the herb, since it can cause abortion
- Some people may be allergic and might have a vomiting sensation